Sunday 1 March 2015

Nicco Park

The final park of the trip was Nicco Park, a park that opened in 1991 and is now home to three coasters. Like Esselworld, this is the park that is home to one of the 2 wooden coasters in the country. So another must-do for the enthusiast.


You pay to enter the park at the main gate. You then exchange one of the tickets for the wristband at a second counter inside the park. I'm not sure why they couldn't just hand the wristbands out at the first counter like every other park in the country.

The park is quite large in size with a circular layout with a lake in it's centre. Plenty of trees and plants is a good thing! There is a small water park attached to the park.

Creepy clown is creepy

I think the tiger is the official mascot of the park.

I like the style of this piece.



The water jump was the first coaster that I passed and yet another of those infernal soaking machines. It wasn't open first thing so one I'd have to come back to.

The park was very busy today, not as busy as Queens Land, but busy enough to put a queue onto most of the attractions including the cable car which was busy at both ends.


The advantage to having queues was that there was no waiting time for the full trains that the park were insistent on. I had heard stories of people sitting in rides for up to an hour waiting for others to fill the seats. Fortunately I didn't have that issue today :)


Cyclone is a copy of the wooden coaster that used to reside at Southport. Like Esselworld, the designers from Blackpool (who also owned Southport) were involved in the design here.

The ride is great especially with the first drop in the back row which launched me out of the seat and made me shout a few obscenities much to the amusement of the other riders in the train. This is easily the best wooden coaster in the country :)


The strange boat ride has a number of themed locations, temples, prehistoric, space etc. with no theme joining them together. The best fit I could get was Tomb Raider, although that's yet to have a space setting. A fun ride though with some nice theming the whole way through.

The wooden theming looks almost cartoonish in quality. I like the "enjoy this ride free!" sign. 

A nice little touch of theming with the monorail making it look like a prop from The Flintstones film.

I really think there's an opportunity to provide translation proof reading to theme parks.

A nice attempt at The Eiffel Tower.

This is the children's corner with a fighter aircraft as the centre piece. You can climb into it which is pretty cool.

An old school routemaster which seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.



A slightly different themed wacky worm with a space theme turning the apple into a planet I thought was a nice touch. Yoga was invented by Indians to allow people to squeeze into this ride.

Funnies sign of the day was this for their inflatable rodeo attraction.

The most popular ride of the day was actually this Flying Saucer spin ride. The coasters were only attracting the teenagers but this was attracting everyone.

I thought this was a typo but then I found out noddles are like strings of pasta often served with Chinese dishes that people agree to eat. 

There were quite a lot of school kids making up the park guests today and like at Wonder La they were all very well behaved.

The runner up prize for an alternative name for Dodgems goes to this park. I like that it encourages ramming. The winner will always be the South African "Bangers".

I couldn't think of any situation where people would shiver and laugh unless they're at that point where just before you drown you lose all rational thought. 

You don't need to have the biggest or fastest rides to have a good time.

There was no way I was going to do the ice room. Having done these in Japanese I end up trying to desteam my glasses on exit, and I was quite enjoying the Kolkata climate. 

The park has a unique dark ride attraction which looks like a modified tagada that rotates around in the dark whilst a couple of ninja clad live actors run around the set triggering various horror effects. This would be proper scary if the actors actually jumped down onto the ride. Having them out of reach dilutes the act and potential for jumps.


I finished the day with a quick go on the water splash which became two goes, not by choice as they send you out for a second lap. Fortunately this was more a spray than a soaking.


and I had to finish with one of the most thrilling coasters on the trip. The rather good Cyclone ride.

Nicco Park was really enjoyable and its a park that is as pretty as it is entertaining.

On my final night I met with a local friend who very kindly invited to his home for dinner and the food was delicious. It was great to see take out food being delivered in coconuts and I finally got an explanation as to the electrical tennis racquets I'd seen being sold by the beggar kids (turns it it's a fly swatter). Thanks Sumitro and Rajsri for your hospitality and company.

Nicco Park is located on the Salt Lake Bypass

No comments:

Post a Comment